Secure online shopping
Buying online is very easy, however in order to do it in a safe way one must be aware of certain points.
Please read our recommendations about how to do a secure online shopping and keep them in mind when placing your order. These advices are more or less the same ones that you’d better follow when you go shopping in the street.
- Copy the enterprise contact details, including postal address and phone number. This is always better than just an email address or a postal code.
- Always print out a copy of your order and of the order confirmation that you should always receive.
- Always double-check the statements and conditions of your bank concerning online purchases.
- Never provide someone with the PIN number of your card, even if the person who is asking for it assures you that he works for the bank or for the police. Never email these details.
- Pay attention to the delivery and packing charges. Compare them to the cost of parking and transport that you should pay when you go shopping. Many times companies offer free deliveries for purchases above a certain amount.
- The seller must make clear if there are any additional costs and include VAT in the displayed price.
- Do not assume that an enterprise is based in UK just because its website ends in ‘.uk’. Check physical address and phone number.
- Visit websites that enjoy of secure payment systems, the ones that display the padlock icon at the bottom of the screen as you are filling out your payment details. XXX
- Make sure that the company has a privacy statement, which explains how they will deal with your contact details.
- You’d better search for enterprises that take part in ‘Online confidence’ experience. These companies have the commitment to comply with certain rules that include measures regarding the following aspects:
- Protection of your privacy
- Secure payments systems
- Provide information about what you have accepted
- Explain how to cancel your order
- Commitment to meet scheduled delivery times
- Protection of children
- Commitment to deal with complaints, no matter where you live
You should also be aware of the fact that sellers around the world have different business philosophy, therefore you´d better check these points in each case.